'And so castles made of sand fall in the sea, eventually
'



Mittwoch, 10. März 2010

Marilyn Monroe and my love for the 50s

So how to begin... Maybe you should know some little things about me before I will bother you with the everyday disasters of my not very spectacular life.
I'm living in a small town in Germany where really nothing happens. One sunny day in August I was walking through our (even at 4 pm!)  almost empty 'shopping street'. I entered a little shop where you can buy every needless stuff you can imagine. It was very hot outside and I was glad that I could cool myself for a few minutes while I was looking at the posters they sold. Hm... Rapper... Beer... Oh a poster of Kurt Cobain!... Weed... Bob Marley (funny, what a coincidence Kurt, Bob and weed)... Cars... And then I noticed a beautiful blonde woman lying on a pillow, looking into the camera with bedroom eyes and a wonderful smile.

Marilyn Monroe

I was directly fascinated by her and couldn't take my eyes off that picture for minutes. When I could move again the first thing I did was taking one of the posters out of the shelf and going to the cash register to buy this wonderful thing.
Back home again I started to search the perfect place to hang up my new attainment.  Finally I found it and put it on the wall beside my bed.

So it was hanging there for a few hours and I was still impressed by the aura of this woman. Later in the evening I was sitting on my computer, my thoughts were still circling around the afternoon and my discovery and after a few minutes of guesswork who she was I went to the picture and searched for a clue about her name. It was not very hard to find out what her name was but this didn't reply my question WHO she was. So I went back to my computer, opened google and typed: Marilyn Monroe.
After less than 2 seconds I had more than a million results. I leaned back in my chair and sighed. 'Great! How to begin?'

     When I had read the page about her on Wikipedia I was even more impressed. A wonderful woman with a huge background story and there were so many things I had to find out. The next days and weeks I spent searching for more information, pictures and everything else I could find about her. I began to listen to her songs and then, more than a half year after the 'Poster Day' my parents bought me Some Like It Hot.
I was so glad to have it and now I've seen almost every movie in which she takes part.

Marilyn was the beginning of my love for the 1950s and 60s. I loved the scenery in the old movies and the way people acted, the things I read in biographies and articles, the disaccords in the society and the things people said and did. Everything was in between and that's the matter of it. That's the thing I love. There were so many different kinds of thinking all wrapped up into one era.

But that's not everything I love about this time. There are those wonderful clothes and the music, the whole lifestyle inspires me in everything I do.



2 Kommentare:

  1. That was beautiful! I'm really looking forward for another post.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. :) I love the 40s and the 50s its really ncie reading about someone else's love for vintage especially fashion.
    Also looking forward to more posts :)

    AntwortenLöschen